© 1999 - 2002 League of Women Voters of Greater Birmingham and
League of Women Voters of the United States
A Publication of the League of Women Voters of Greater Birmingham.
LWVGB Business Meeting Scheduled for Saturday, April 20th
Nominating Committee Report
LWVGB Losing Office Space
The Commerce Center Building is up to be nominated at the Business for sale and will probably be converted to loft apartments. Affordable rental Meeting when the Chair calls mates are scarce, so LWVGB will close its office by June 1. The new board for nominations from the floor. will consider options for LWVGB's headquarters. Board members are reviewing office files to decide which should go to the archives and which Respectfully submitted by Jean should remain active files. Much of the memorabilia will be offered in a silent Johnson (Chair), E.J. Stephens, auction at the Annual Meeting; proceeds will go to the local Ed Fund. If you and Becky Sylvester. cannot attend the April 20 meeting and want a piece of the memorabilia collection? please call me at 979-7102.
Program Proposals for 2002-03
I. The Board recommends that the existing program positions as printed in the LWVGB Yearbook be retained.
Il. The Board presents, without comment, the following program items for member consideration:
A. A Study on Education with Greater Birmingham Ministries' Economic Justice
1. a joint study of K - 12 public education in the Birmingham school system, or,
2. participation in the GBM Committee study. A comprehensive study has been designed by a GBM committee of community leaders. In return for participation on the committee, the data collected could be made available to the League for independent development of its position statement on education. This project will require at least two League volunteers to attend committee meetings (probably twice per month) and assist in data collection, if possible.
B. Two Issues for Emphasis Proposals
1. Member education on LWVGB's position supporting a county manager form of government for Jefferson County; and member education on the effect of the current structure of Jefferson County Government on accountable, efficient, cost-effective and responsive government. Inform members through Voter articles and a general meeting. Estimate of Person Power Needed: A Board member to chair the member education project and an Observer to cover the Jefferson County Commission.
2. Informational updates on transportation and natural resources issues in the metro area, review of League transportation and natural resources positions to determine if they cover the issues, identification of opportunities for action. Inform members through Voter articles and a general meeting. Estimate of Person Power Needed: a Board member to Chair the update project and two off-Board members, one to focus on each of the two topics.
State Council to Meet in Montgomery
The State League's business meeting will be held Saturday, May 4, 2002 in Montgomery at the Ramada Inn East. State Council alternates with State Convention. The purpose of Council is to adjust the two-year budget and provide workshops for the benefit of local Leagues.
LWVUS Business Meeting Convenes in June
PROPOSED BUDGET FOR LWVGB YEAR 2002-03
Budget Committee: Chair, Colette Scott, Diane Holmes, Leslie O'Neil,
1. Actual 2001-02 income and expenses are not yet available since LWVGB's fiscal year ends June 30.
2. The 2002 Budget Committee made three recommendations to the Board:
A. Put the money where the mission is instead of operations.
B. Conduct a capital campaign for Ed Fund contributions.
C. Work with a business class at one of the area universities to develop a business and marketing plan.
In 2002, the LWVGB will be helping candidates in 24 local races get their messages out via the Internet by enabling them to participate in DemocracyNet (Dnet), the League's interactive political web site. In the year 2000, we covered 12 races in Jefferson Co. (with 19 state-wide and federal races covered by LWVAL and LWVUS!).
The Calendar | Update! | Voting FAQ | Publications | Links